Friday, July 13, 2007

More on Ride to the Coast Night

The Tommy's fund raiser night is coming along nicely. Everyone around here has been so eager to help me out, it's a bit overwhelming. I've had numerous offers from people wanting to share their contacts and put me in touch with people that could help. My friend Andrew who is the regular host at open mic has offered to help me with a press-release and to put me in contact with people at the paper and the radio station. He's also come up with the best idea yet for that night: Silent Auction. Eh? Eh??

I've written up a little solicitation letter that I'm going to take door-to-door to local businesses in an effort to get some auction items. I've seen this work to great success many times before, I really hope I can generate some solid participation...Keep your fingers crossed!

Also, I'm waiting to hear back from The Turkey Creek Ramblers, a home-grown bluegrass band that has taken off recently. They're a ton of fun and likely to get people through the door if I can get them to play a set that night. There are a number of other musicians that would be great to have play too, but TCR would best fit the mood I want to create.

Stacy from Tommy's suggested pairing Ride to the Coast Night with a shot-themed night they were planning anyway. She had a clever name for it, but I forget what it was. It would involve paying one price for a selection of five shots of their own invention, I think. And as she pointed out, alcohol tends to loosen purse strings. Teehee!

Finally, there will be a table selling those yellow Livestrong bracelets. I have a box of 100. I hope they sell, because I had to purchase them from the LAF, they wouldn't give them to me as an advance on the donation. What I don't sell that night I'll take with me on the road and try to sell them to people I meet on the way. They're only $1, so I figure for those people who say they can't afford to make a donation I can present them with that option. Most people can afford $1, right? Especially since they're getting something in return?

Okay, how 'bout some more winter photos? These were taken when I lived in Jackson Hole.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like you've got all the bases covered. Here's an idea for the bracelets: come up with a special yellow-colored shot, something reminiscent of citrus and not pee-pee, and sell it along with the bracelet (adding a dollar to the cost of the shot to pay for the bracelet). A Livestrong Vitamin C shot... yum?

Matt Eisenberg said...

Ooh, that's a really good idea

Anonymous said...

Woohoooo! This is really terrific news about the fundraiser night! I bet that will go a long way towards meeting your goal! In my experience, alcohol goes a long way towards getting people to whip out their wallets! LOL Hey Paula, you should post the drink names/recipes question on The Mantel. For example, I bet Glenn could come up with a long list of related drink names in about five minutes, and surely we've got a few bartender types who are knowledgeable about actual drink recipes - Kevin maybe?

Anonymous said...

OJ and vodka as a shot, but instead of calling it a Screwdriver, call it a Screw Cancer?

Oh well. I'm sure you'll figure it out. Keep us posted about how it's going!

Matt Eisenberg said...

How about A Yellow Jersey: vodka and Limoncello?

Anonymous said...

I like those drink ideas, especially the Yellow Jersey! I'm terrible at this stuff - all I can think of is a jello shot named Muscle Gel (see? I warned you). Oh, but about those LAF bracelets - if it's a healthy crowd, goodness, all one hundred can easily be sold by the end of the night! Just get your prettiest, most charming female friend to dress like a Bud girl and mingle amongst the crowd with them! :-)

Lisa said...

You should call it "le maillot jaune" and make everyone try to pronounce it correctly ;-)

Anonymous said...

Awesome ideas for the shot. Do it do it do it.