Tuesday, July 3, 2007

New and Improved!

I just finished marking the map with possible daily destinations and distances. Much of this is likely to change, of course. For instance, according to this most of our days will end up being around 80-85 miles. I'm not sure if that's entirely realistic. I think a lot of those will have to come down to between 60 and 70 miles.

Also, this schedule has us completing the ride in just 32 days, which is clearly ridiculously shorter than I anticipated. I think I need to go ahead and adjust those distances. Ordinarily I would do th
at before posting, but I just spent several hours doing this and really need to get away from the computer for a while. My method for determining these rest stops was really too ludicrous to mention, but at least I've got a good place from which to start editing the route later.

And no, I didn't use the GPS to map the route. I tried, but the PC software it came with seems so much clunkier than Google, and doing the entire route on the handheld unit is too much work. My plan is
to use the GPS as a backup, because, as Finn noted, Google maps can be a bit unreliable. The GPS will also prove particularly useful when trying to find specific things in cities and towns, such as a post office, restaurant, or movie theater.

Here's another shot from the Yellowstone ride. This is just past the entrance to Grand Teton National Park, with the Grand behind me.

6 comments:

Paula said...

I think you're right to use Google maps for the big picture, and the GPs for fine-tuning. The important thing, seems to me, is to stay on the blue highways, not anywhere near the busiest roads. Safety should be paramount, and speed second.

Paula said...

You know what worries me the most? 2 things: heat stroke/dehydration in the Plains, and brake failure. With all that extra weight in the trailer behind you, won't your brake pads wear out really fast on the long down-grades coming out of the mountains? Are you taking spare brake repair stuff? Have you practiced with a fully-loaded trailer on a long down-grade?

Matt Eisenberg said...

I ride with a 100oz cammelback, two frame-mounted water bottles, and two more bottles in the trailer. Combined with gatorade purchased from gas stations, dehydration is unlikely.

As for the brakes, it'd be pretty difficult to wear through a pad that quickly. And yes I've ridden fully loaded down long descents. In fact, the large majority of the difficult riding I've already done once. I'll be riding the same route from here to Gunnison. From there I only have two more days in the mountains before I hit the Front Range.

Yesterday I spent some time on Google Earth examining the profile. I zoomed in and tilted the view. That was cool. If you go to the route map and click on the KML link next to the Print link, it'll open up GE with the map points.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Matt, you are well on your way! Nice work!

I haven't been able to read much the last couple of weeks due to home computer issues, being busy at work and various other summer activities, but now I'm back in business with my new iMac and enjoying catching up on your progress!

Statistically speaking, I'm probably due for my first accident. I've had a couple of near misses so far, but been really lucky. Meanwhile, another bike commuter at work seems to have one every couple of months. But, you're right in that "getting back on the horse" is key. I hope that when I do have my first accident, I'll remember the inspiration of that semi-famous delivery cyclist in NYC that lost his leg in a cycling accident, but then went on to start his delivery company and cycles with one leg.

In any case, keep up the good work! I'm glad you've got a buddy to go along with you now!

Matt Eisenberg said...

Wow, I hadn't heard of that NYC delivery cyclist. Gruesome, and inspiring too. Don't worry about the statistics, Meghan. The more you think about falling, the more you fall. Mind over matter. When I'm going fast now I feel totally stable until I start focusing on my stability. Then I have to slow down.

On a semi-related note, I was reading the other day about pain thresholds. Studies suggest that experience with pain allows us to bear future pain better. So don't pick a fight with an amputee or a woman who's given birth. (That was actually an example from the article.)

fred said...

Bicycling can make you a zen like master of handling pain, through experience.