Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Rest Day

I met up with Finn yesterday in Fort Collins and we're taking a rest day here. I'm writing from the library at CSU, which is really nice by the way. Yesterday I was just supposed to ride around the city looking for a place for us to stay or to camp for the night, but I ended up riding about 30 miles. Not a lot compared to what I've been doing, but I wasn't even wearing my bike shorts or jersey because I thought it would be a lighter day, so it still took its toll on my caboose.

I was on my way out of town, heading toward a KOA (Campground of America; I don't know what the story is with the "K") when I saw Finn on the other side of the road. I had been climbing a hill and didn't even notice him until he stopped and yelled across the street. A funny way to meet, I thought, especially after not having seen him in nine months.

Shit. Finn just directed me to this headline from cnn.com: Dangerous heat has parts of U.S. sweating. Turns out the plains states are expecting a record heat wave, right as we're riding through. Ugh... The heat is the only thing that actually worries me about this ride. It'll be okay though, we're careful people and we know how to deal with it. It may push our schedule back by a few days, which is fine but frustrating. We'll have to go slower and stop earlier than we would otherwise. Oh well.

I forgot to bring my card reader, so no photos today. Sorry. Here's a quick story for you:

On Day Four I rode into the tiny mountain hamlet of Bailey, CO and asked at a local cafe for directions to a campground. They weren't too sure, but they told me to turn back the way I'd come and go about two miles back to Shawnee, where there's National Forest Service land on which I could set up a tent for free. It was just beginning to rain at this point, so, reluctantly, I retraced my steps until I found this dirt road that they had mentioned. I rode, very slowly, up until I found a flat piece of ground that I thought might be an acceptable spot, in between two sections of obviously private property. I eventually got my tent set up and prepared to spend the rest of the night cooped up out of the rain (this was around 5pm, I think).

After an hour and a half or so, spent anxiously peering through my rain fly every so often at the sound of barking dogs and passing cars (I was afraid that I had actually set myself up on someone's front yard and would be asked to pack up and leave in the middle of the storm), someone called out to me. He said he knew what it was like to camp out in the rain and offered me a bed in his camper. At first I politely refused, but with his insistence and promises of a warm, dry place to sleep, I found myself enthusiastically accepting. His name is Sean and he and his wife were amazingly kind hosts, saying modestly that that's what you do in small towns. Long story short, I had the best night's sleep since leaving Telluride.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww! Very cool. I'm glad you met some nice people.

As for the heat wave--yeah. Don't push yourselves. Ride when it's early and cool, then stop and chill out. I know you know all about hydrating and stuff, so you guys will be fine. But your health is more important than your schedule.

Anonymous said...

Hooray! You guys are doing so great! It's good to hear from you, and you sound so upbeat and like you're feeling terrific? Now, I'm reading Finn's (his name is so cute, btw, kinda like you guys are Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn - but I digress). Anyway! LOL He seems to be hurting more than you, I'm having sympathy pains just reading his blog -- now is this because you're trying to be brave and not worry your Mom with the gory details?? LOL Or did he just have a much rougher path so far (construction, dirt roads, etc.). Either way, I'm glad you guys are getting a chance to rest and that you're meeting the good people in the world!

liz said...

...and then you woke up in a bathtub of ice with your kidneys missing? just kidding. it sounds like you are having an awesome time! see you soon!

Paula said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Paula said...

Uh, Liz and I think alike. You slept in some stranger's camper?? Have you not read about serial killers who roam the nation's highways??

I am so glad Finn is with you now. The two of you would present a much harder target.

Seriously, though, it's wonderful that you're meeting Small Town America at its best. Kudos to Sean and his wife.

Is Finn a lobster guy? I hope you can both join us on the Vineyard.

Tricia said...

Just had a chance to watch your interview. You did awesome. Loved hearing the stories - especially that you have learned your lesson to be careful - while referring to the infamous Teton Pass crash. I also enjoyed the butt cream. Knowing your behind is being taken care of is reassuring.

You look great. Love the hair cut. It is very rockstar!

Tell Finn I say hello. I haven't seen him in 9 months either. So much for small towns!

Anonymous said...

Hey all. I heard from Matt today--he and Finn are okay! I'll leave it to them to share details, which I think they'll be able to do tomorrow night.

Anonymous said...

Matt - I hope you sang Sean and his wife a Tom Petty song to show your appreciation! Keep on peddling.