Saturday, August 11, 2007

Where's My Shoe?

Hey all,

If you're in or around Stoneham, CO and you happen to find a black Shimano carbon-fiber cycling shoe with a red Look ARC cleat for the left foot, possibly in the tall grass, possibly with bite marks from a dog all over it, I would sure appreciate your letting me know. You see, I somehow managed to lose said shoe and have ridden the past 180 miles or so with one proper cycling shoe and one Adidas flip-flop, which is not really the ideal setup in terms of efficiency or comfort or style or anything else.

I'm here in McCook, NE, at the public library, waiting ten more minutes for the post office to open where I've had a new pair of shoes sent to general delivery. I guess you could call this situation a minor mishap.

Anyway, yesterday was a tough day. It was brutally hot all day and we rode 102 miles through some relatively uninteresting terrain. Both Finn and I had a few mechanical problems which slowed us down and Finn had a minor fall turning through an oil slick in Palisade, NE. Fortunately, the good people at the American Legion hall took pity and gave us beer and an air conditioned respite. The last 15 miles of the day we covered in less than half the time it took us to ride the previous 15 miles, due mostly to the cooler dusk temperatures and the motivation to get to McCook.

Obviously, there's much more to tell you about and I wish could post some photos, but you'll just have to wait for that, as the post office should be open soon and we want to get back on the road. Talk to you again soon!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A shoe! a shoe! my kingdom for a shoe!

If Raleigh didn't have an airtight alibi, I'd suspect him. As it is, are there coyotes out there? Good luck getting your shoes...

Paula said...

This must be a great story, and I can't wait to hear it.

Just keep visions of a cool pool and summer/autumnal weather on the Vineyard in your mind, to look forward to. Hydrate!

We are all rooting for you both.

I see you are over the halfway mark toward your fund-raising goal!

Anonymous said...

Matt--I ran into Nicky and his fiance while walking Raleigh today. When introducing myself to the fiance I said, "I'm the sister of the guy who is riding his bike from Colorado to get to your wedding." She immediately went, "Ohhh!" They send their best wishes.

Paula said...

Matt just called. They are in Minden, NE for the night and should be in Lincoln in a day and a half, and plan on a rest day there. He sounds great and says they are coping with the heat pretty well, although it's gotten humid now.