Thursday, August 30, 2007

Not Long Now

Tonight I'm in Mansfield, OH at a Holiday Inn. I was planning on camping tonight, but the day's ride was much longer and tougher than anticipated. When you throw in the unrelenting humidity of the last three or so days, it made sense to get to an air-conditioned room. I spent last night sweating through my pillow sleeping in the county fairgrounds of London, OH. The front desk agent here asked me about my ride when I was checking in, and when I mentioned the LAF she gave me a discounted rate on the room! The "government rate." Score.

Anyway, for the last two days I've had a positively incorrigible 15mph headwind. I mean this bugger just won't let up for a minute. Remember the "Mountains of the Midwest" thing? Now I believe that to be an understatement. Give me the Rockies, any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Alright, that's enough complaining out of me. No photos today, as I'm using the lobby computer. I think what I'll have to do is wait until I get to New York, and then start posting all the pictures and videos I haven't been able to get out to you yet. Sorry, I guess you'll have to wait a bit longer. I think I've only got about a week or so left of riding, yay!

13 comments:

Paula said...

Glad you've got an air-conditioned, comfy room for a change! Not much longer now. You're making amazing progress! I left you a phone message about an idea I had for New Jersey.

Anonymous said...

Hope you got some good rest and cooled off some.

I'm sure you remind yourself but I'll remind you too....each mile you go is a mile closer to home. :-)

Lisa said...

So our office is closed but I'm in working on a few projects, enjoying being able to play music out loud and not annoy anyone. Right now I'm listening to an album you sent and have just burst out laughing because of the last song you put on it....It actually provides sound advice if you get into a pickle out there on the road...

Who ya gonna call???

Ghost Busters!!

I can't hear youuuu!

Anonymous said...

Matt, Matt, Matt! I am just so proud of you! You've faced desertion, giant pans of homemade cookies, mechanical failures, a lost shoe, self-involved motel dwellers, clueless drivers, horrid heat, wind and rain, and yet kept your sense of humor and great attitude. That takes some doing and says tons about what you're made of! I'm so glad you're sleeping in a comfy bed and am thinking you're looking a little thin in some of your pics, understandably so given the rigors of this journey. I will be glad to see you home with Mom getting fed, as I know only she can do. :-) But seriously, congrats on an AMAZING journey. Hang in there, you're almost home!!!! P.S. Very interesting about the headwind...I've figured out that 25 mph is my limit, but the times I encounter it must not be constant force...as steep HILLS are my main enemy so I've always been in awe of your ability to ride in the mountains...wonder if wind takes a different kind of...what...endurance, muscle conditioning...don't know what exactly...than ascent. Just intriguing to me...then again, I seriously doubt I could do either one for the incredible distances you're covering! :-)

Paula said...

Hey, Matt, do you want sushi first??

There's a great big Sam's roll with your name on it at Hajime!

Paula said...

Layne and Meghan and Lisa, I wish you could both be there to welcome him home!

Anonymous said...

DON'T DO IT! That woman is trying to lure you with sushi--some kind of... of... of... sushi... lure.

Keep going, Matt. Keep riding. Whenever the wind pushes against your front, pretend it's at your back instead.

Robin Bonnist said...

If you want to skip a few of the last states let us know & we'll fly you right through those head winds on Romeo Romeo! Bet you're as strong as any old jet engine. xo R & R

fred said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Elaine said...

So close now! What a wonderful experience of a lifetime!

We all are eagerly awaiting your triumphant arrival.

Just a few more miles. Hang in there.

Don't bypass Larchmont and head straight for Hajimi!

Lisa said...

Wish I could be there too. Give him a hug for me!

Anonymous said...

matt, when do you think you'll arrive? are you going straight to larchmont or going through the city first? i definitely want to be there!

Anonymous said...

matt, when do you think you'll arrive? are you going straight to larchmont or going through the city first? i definitely want to be there!