Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Chapter 1: Starts and Beginnings

Hi. My name is Matt Eisenberg. I'm originally from Larchmont, NY and I live now in Telluride, CO.

Well okay. It snowed today. A lot. All day. So I took the opportunity to stay inside and begin the process of communicating the details of my cycling project to my friends and family. First, I sent a mass email to pretty much everyone I know soliciting donations to the Lance Armstrong Foundation via my webpage, which is hosted by the LAF Grassroots program.
http://www.livestrong.org/grassroots/ridingforareason2007

And now I'm creating a blog for the first time. I'm notoriously bad at keeping up this kind of communication, so please forgive me if I don't keep updating regularly, I promise I'll make an effort. I'll try to keep you posted on how my training is going and what kind of responses I'm getting to the ride plan. That's all for now. Here's a photo of a much shorter ride I did up to Yellowstone last summer: notice the evident misery as I stand at the top of the Continental Divide after having ridden 20 miles straight uphill in a sleet storm towing a heavy trailer with crooked wheels.

5 comments:

Eve said...

1. Is God not aware that it's almost freaking June? Snow?? Okay...

2. I keep offering you my laptop, but if you don't want to take it for the purposes of updating, most towns have public libraries where you can use the internet for free. Sometimes you have to get a library card, though. Oh! Scrapbook idea: collect a library card for each town through which you pass.

3. Didja get a new trailer? I mean, after the crooked-wheeled one.

Paula said...

I'd like to see more photos from the Yellowstone trip, and from upcoming training trips.

Anonymous said...

Greetings from one of your Mom's on line friends!

Good Luck with the ride, and let us know what we can do to help!

Anonymous said...

Matt, nice to see you doing well! If you don't remember, I am one of your Mom's friends, and the last time I saw you was at Mt Snow skiing. You were just a kid then.

Listen, I want to wish you the best in training, planning, and executing this adventure. I think this is a fantastic adventure. My stepson Paul had planned a trip like this, from Antigonish NS where he attended university back to Toronto, a 1300 mi journey. Things got in the way but he never carried through. I thought about doing this with him, but family and career intervened. So do it while the opportunity presents!!!!

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

"20 miles straight uphill in a sleet storm towing a heavy trailer with crooked wheels." Triple OUCH! Ok, so then I see you are well prepared physically for this challenge - heck, I whine just riding into heavy wind and uphill, I can't even imagine also pulling a trailer *with* crooked wheels! LOL I'm Meghan, one of your mom's online friends - and I think this is just WONDERFUL what you're doing, and so courageous of you! I look forward to seeing your progress and living vicariously through your adventure! Oh, and I told your mom not to worry, so just let me know if she fusses and I'll yell at her. After all, everyone knows that "pain heals, chicks digs scars and glory lasts forever!!"
:-)