Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Original "Help Me Out" Email Text

This is the original email I sent out to everyone explaining what was going on.

Dear Friends and Family,

Apologies for the mass email (especially if this is the second time you've gotten it; I don't believe it went through the first time). This is actually the most massive email I've ever sent, and for those of you who haven't heard from me in a while I'm sorry I'm so bad at keeping in touch, but this is very important to me. As some of you already know, this August I intend to embark on a bicycle ride from my current home in Telluride, Colorado to my childhood home in Larchmont, New York. I haven't found anyone to ride with yet, so at this point it looks like it'll be just me, my bike, my trailer, and my sleeping bag.

Needless to say, this will be the most difficult task I've ever undertaken, physically and psychologically. Now, there's not much anyone can do to help with the former, but you might be surprised how much each and every one of you can help with the latter.

With the advice of some friends and family, I've chosen to ride not just for myself but for a truly worthy cause. Through their Grassroots Fundraising program I've gotten the support of the Lance Armstrong Foundation. There's a link at the bottom of this email to a simple webpage, from which you can make a donation that will help this foundation in its efforts to fight cancer. If you don't know, the LAF has already raised millions of dollars towards fighting cancer, and I would love to do my part. I know I don't need to beat anyone over the head with this, so I'll leave it at that.

The money you donate will do more than help these people with their important work. Every dollar you give toward the monetary goal will push me a little bit closer to my physical goal. Whenever the going gets rough for me out there I'll remember the support that I've got from all of you and I'll push on.

Some of the email addresses I have may be out of date and I'm sure there are others who should be on the list that aren't, so I would definitely appreciate you forwarding this to those who might be interested in making a donation. Thank you so much for reading this, and I'll be thinking about you all as the miles tick away behind me.

http://www.livestrong.org/grassroots/ridingforareason2007

With love,
--Matt Eisenberg

No comments: