Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Trailers, Photos, Rants...

I rode back up to Lizard Head Pass today, this time with my loaded trailer. I'll tell you, it sure felt a helluva lot slower, but when I got back my cyclecomputer said my average speed had only dropped 1.8mph. I was expecting a much slower time over that distance. Still, how you feel on the bike is more important than the numbers, unless you're racing I suppose. And it did feel like a much tougher ride.

I love my trailer though, and I think I made the right choice not going with panniers. It's a B.O.B. Yak, which is a single-wheeled trailer, instead of the usual two wheeled like the one I took to Yellowstone. The biggest advantages I've noticed so far are a lower rolling resistance and more precise cornering (as the trailer leans into the turn with the bike). The only disadvantage is that it becomes difficult to stand up out of the saddle on flat terrain with speed, because there's a delay between when you sway the bike in one direction and when the trailer catches up. This creates a rather unstable feeling. The only thing to do is to limit the amount of back and forth you allow, which takes more concentration and control. This is less of a problem below about 10mph though, so climbing isn't so bad.

My roommate Kiley took some pictures of me on the bike this afternoon. A few of them turned out okay, but we had the camera set at a slower ISO to try to get a little blur for effect and most of the shots are just blurry, if you know what I mean. Turns out you can't really get that cool effect of a blurry background and a sharp subject with a point-and-shoot the way you can with an SLR. Oh well, maybe I can get her to try again tomorrow. What I'd really like is a good shot that I can put on a business card, which will have my LAF and blog website addresses, that I can then hand out to people I meet along the way. That'll make donations a bit easier.

Kiley has a background in film and television, and she filmed a short interview with me. I'm not sure what we'll use it for, maybe I can post it here. Haven't seen it yet. I was nervous...never been interviewed before.

When you enlarge that last photo, scroll all the way down. See all that loose gravel? If you're not a cyclist you might not realize how big of a problem that stuff can be for skinny tires, nor how many roads actually look like that or worse on the shoulder. So, when you're driving and about to pass a cyclist, please please please give him/her a lot of room so they don't have to ride through that stuff and risk a flat. If you can't move over far enough because of oncoming traffic, it wouldn't kill you to slow down for a few seconds until you can. This concludes my rant on autos vs. bikes, even though I have much more to say on the topic. I don't want to get too pedantic.

Please make a donation to the LAF.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt, I hear you on drivers! I’ve been cycle commuting an average of 3 days a week since about last July (every day now that it’s gorgeous weather!), and what’s funny is I remember not understanding why cyclists were “in my way” before I became one. :-) So now I make sure all my friends don't suffer from the same lack of awareness I did! How much does your trailer weigh? I didn't even know those were available, and wondered about panniers too. I'm assuming the trailer holds more though! It's great hearing about your training rides and seeing all the pictures - you play the guitar very well! What are you going to do for music on the road? :-)

Paula said...

I also wonder about your guitar withdrawal while on the road. I picture you rolling into a little flea-bitten town in Ohio, sweaty and thirsty and exhausted, looking in desperation for a musical instrument store so you can have a 12-string fix.

Loved yesterday's entry. I hope everybody reading this will take your car vs. bike advice to heart.

Unknown said...

I dig that jersey.

Matt Eisenberg said...

Meghan:
Thanks for being simpatico about riding in traffic. Share the Road! The trailer weighs 13.5lbs when empty. I'm not really sure how much weight I'll add; I'll have a sleeping bag, tent, sleeping pad, back pack full of clothes, assorted food, water, and dumbbells in case I feel like getting some exercise. Check out http://www.bobtrailers.com

Mom:
Don't know about the guitar, it might be just as you suggest. However, Nicky has asked me to play at his wedding, so I'm mulling whether to ship my guitar home before I leave here...

Lisa:
Thanks. I made it myself.

Anonymous said...

About the effect of the trailer: I ride with my 6 year old daughter on a tag-a-long and get the same effect - if I stand up, her rhythm throws off the rhythm and balance of the whole bike.

Do you have your route planned out yet?

Matt Eisenberg said...

I'm not familiar with the tag-a-long. Is that also a single wheel?


Haven't planned the route officially just yet. I've got a preliminary idea, but I'm not ready to say for sure. Look for a post about that maybe next week?

Paula said...

Matt: I love the jersey too. The CCCP one, though? Uh, maybe better not to wear that one in Small Town, USA.....Irony may not be the take-away.

Anonymous said...

A tag along is a third wheel with a seat and peddles that attaches to the back of a bike. So, the extra rider does peddle, and does help move the whole thing forward. Of course, she can coast and does when she gets tired.

Found this pic:
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml98/98053.jpg