Friday, May 25, 2007

New Friend

Just returned from today's ride. I was going up to the airport again (quickly becoming a favorite ride because it's a nice climb with mild traffic and only a couple of hairpin curves) and about halfway up I looked in my mirror and there was a rider closing in on me, fast! Now, I'm no Lance, but I've never been passed like that before. Granted, I wasn't riding for speed, but still.

Anyway, this guy rode up along side me and stayed with me for a chat. Turns out he used to ride with the Paragon Cycling Team -- one of the more highly regarded teams in the state -- based here in Telluride. He also was riding a beautiful Moots titanium bike and has a newborn son (the adrenaline from which I assume was fueling him), all of which made me feel better about getting schooled. I'm just kidding, I don't mind being passed. Not really.

As a bonus, he took me up a different road which climbs another few hundred vertical above where I had been going. It was nice because I never would have gone on that road myself, because it's technically private property. We're talking Aldasoro Ranch territory, a.k.a. where Tom Cruise lives. He told me that a little while ago a cyclist got into an argument with a home owner and now no one's allowed up there unless they're on a guest list with the HOA. It's too bad, because it's an absolutely beautiful ride and there's NO traffic. Pretty much the only place around where you've got miles of paved roads that no one drives on.

I didn't take any pictures today, it was all I could do to just keep up with this guy who had slowed significantly to talk to me and wasn't even breathing hard. Meanwhile, I'm huffing and puffing and trying not to swerve into him or off the pavement.

So here's some more photos from the Yellowstone ride. In this one, you can clearly see where my shorts are ripped from an earlier fall.

This one was taken at the campground in the park, when we finally got a fire started and I could start to dry out. I'm wearing plastic bags over my socks to keep them dry. No, it didn't work too well.

This is my erstwhile roommate, Finn. He's the one I rode with and took all the photos of me. This shot was on the way back when we were just getting back into Grand Teton National Park. That's the Grand behind him. I like to think he's giving thanks to the gods here, but he's probably just sneezing or something.



Please make a donation to the Lance Armstrong Foundation.

5 comments:

Paula said...

Did you get that guy's name? Maybe he'll go with you on your big ride.

We looked at some houses in Aldasoro a long time ago. Tremendous, mind-numbing views, and good values compared to in town or Mountain Village. If we bought there, you could ride all you wanted on those roads. :-)

Matt Eisenberg said...

He owns Honga's. That and the baby make him an unlikely candidate to join me.

I spoke to Finn a little while ago, though, and there's an outside chance that he's interested.

liz said...

hey matt, i just got a call from nicole. stasha is on the next plane to telluride to keep you company on your trip. she doesn't "do" bikes but she's ok w/ riding in the trailer.

Paula said...

He owns Honga's, eh? (Honga's, for yu non-Telluridians, is a wonderful sushi-fusion restaurant) No, he probably can't take that much time off to go on the long ride, especially with a newborn at home. Still, a good person to know.

fred said...

Haha no I was dying from pulling that damn trailer, and embarassed for feeling like shit pulling it downhill, when you just pulled it all the way there uphill!!! I mean yeah I was sneezing haha.