Saturday, June 16, 2007

Random Thoughts

It's been a while since my last update, and again, I apologize. My throat has been extremely sore for several days now and it's been difficult to make myself get out and ride, and the rides that I have done have been totally unremarkable. Fortunately, I think this cold is on its last legs, so I should be able to get back out there soon.

What I really want to do is go for a good hike for a bit of cross-training (not to mention that it's just plain fun to do, one of the best things about summer in TRide). There's
a wonderful trail right out of town called the Sneffels Highline (so named for the view of Mt. Sneffels, one of the 14,000ft peaks here) that I haven't done since two days before I moved away in 2004. It's a loop that goes up above treeline with the highest point at just over 12,200ft, and through some gorgeous meadows and by a small waterfall. It's still too early for the wildflowers, which will be in full bloom when I'm on my ride in August, and I'll probably run into some snow, but it's a great way to spend a day. I might do it on Monday if I feel better. I'll take plenty of photos, as always.

So I was c
hatting with my friend Lisa just now and she made the point that there are so many other causes out there worthy of our action. If I may quote her, "It's pretty interesting how certain causes only gain public interest because someone famous says something about them (i.e. George Clooney, Angelina Jolie...). but unless people...actually make the effort to do something or [say] something, people forget, they move on. That's why it's important to stay engaged. Situations don't miraculously disappear because an oscar-winning actor holds a dying baby in Africa. It's vital that they do it, but we need to keep the message alive as well."

I think this is an excellent point. There are
just too many (often tragic) things going on in the world, so many that none of us can cope with all of them. But it takes so little for each among us to stay aware and do what we can when we can. The world needs us. We can't all devote all our material wealth to ending disease, poverty, armed conflict, but we can certainly at least devote our attention. That's how things change, that's how people like Bill and Melinda Gates can be seen as heroes, not eccentrics, for doing what we all wish we could.

Anyway, I hate to seem preachy and I told myself I wouldn't turn this into a political blog, I just figured that the over-arching theme of this blog made this an appropriate forum to voice those thoughts. Okay, let's get back to the pictures. These are from a camping trip to Slickrock Canyon about a month ago or so.

Prettily striated rock formations
abounded.

Behind me is where we built the campfire and spent most of the night, about 20 feet up the rock wall from where we parked. Coolest place I've ever had a campfire.

After we got to the campsite this guy shows up on a horse. He hung out with us till 3am playing music. How cool is that? The dog had fun tormenting the horse.


This was one of those one-in-a-million shots where I took a photo without a flash at the exact moment someone else took one with a flash. Not so interesting compositionally, but pretty neat nonetheless.

Please make a donation to the LAF, or to any cause that you feel is worthy. Thanks.

3 comments:

Paula said...

Great photos! Keep 'em coming. We are all living the good life in the mountains vicariously.

I don't think this posting is preachy or even political. You (and Lisa) are just stating something we all know but need to be reminded of: being engaged with the world around us is vital, both for the good of the world and for our own self-esteem. Some of the happiest people I know aren't the wealthiest, or the most talented, or the best-looking. They're the ones who spend a lot of time giving of themselves, in some way.

It's still cool here on the Vineyard, but we took a long paddle in Chilmark Pond, over 3 miles. I love my new, lighter Calypso.

Lisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa said...

This is a side-note, but as we were on the topic of Angelina (and I work at the Council)...Let's hope Ms. Jolie brings positive attention to the issues and that her fame doesn't distract from her work.

From the Washington Post
Friday, June 8, 2007, Page C03

"It's official! Angelina Jolie's nomination to the Council on Foreign Relations was formally accepted by the exclusive think tank's board of directors yesterday.

The bombshell Oscar winner-turned globe-trotting activist is one of 94 new "term members" -- a category reserved for up-and-coming young policy thinkers in their early 30s, most from the corporate world, government, academia or the media, who after their five-year terms can apply to join the "life membership" ranks of Cheney, Soros, Greenspan, Kissinger , etc. What this means for Angelina: a chance to kibitz with top global policy experts. What this means for CFR: more paparazzi."