Friday, June 1, 2007

Mandatory Update

I was just chastised for failing to write an entry today, so let me just say to my many fans that I am deeply sorry for leaving you all in the lurch. Verily, my contrition knows no bounds! Forsooth, make me a beggar wallowing in the most impenetrable privation should I inflict such negligence upon the innocent masses again!

Anyhoo, I was planning on beginning my ride up to Crusty Butt today, but when I still hadn't gotten my sh*t together by 11:30 I decided to push it back till tomorrow. I hope to make at least 100 miles tomorrow, which would put me somewhere in the Curecanti National Recreation Area in the vicinity of the Blue Mesa Reservoir. This area is in the Black Canyon and, I've heard tell, astonishingly gorgeous. Can't wait.

From there it's about another 45 miles or so into the town of Crested Butte. There are a whole bunch of campgrounds south of there though, along the Taylor River, and I might forgo the town to check those out. Maybe if I get there early enough I can set up camp and then leave the trailer while I ride up to town? I don't know, we'll see.

This photo has nothing to do with bikes, I just thought it was pretty. It's a view from the top of the Jud Wiebe Trail (a.k.a. Town Loop), a nice short hike that takes you up above town. The lines going across the mountain are the road going up to Black Bear Pass, one of the highest mountain passes in the country, accessible only to high-clearance 4x4s. Taken last December.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Thank you for the post! I hope your ride to Crested Butte is going well and I'm sure we're all looking forward to hearing about it and seeing some photos.

Anonymous said...

Dear Wayward Rapscallion,

If you get time in one of your upcoming updates, I’m very curious about your diet for these long training rides and the plan in that regard for the trip? Do you try to follow a specific program overall that you’ve found works best on a schedule, or is it more a focus on consuming as many calories as you possibly can to keep from bonking no matter what type they are, that kind of thing?

Paula said...

I do hope the CB ride went well. I hope you had good weather for it, too. We are having nasty rain and wind here today (Monday), and overnight. And we woke up to a flood in the kitchen, with waterfalls coming down from the ceiling around the big skylight. *sigh* So the roofers are coming to put a big tarp over it until things dry out so they can see what's what. We just had the *$#^& roof fixed a few months ago! Lucy (the cat) is quite upset, because her food bowl was full of water. But she was smug when she got to eat breakfast up on the counter.

Anyway, you are free of such quotidian worries, you lucky thing!