Monday, June 11, 2007

Moab

Today's post has nothing to do with cycling or my training. I spent the weekend camping in Moab, UT and figured you might like to see some of the images anyway. I went with my roommate Kiley and two friends, Ethan and Phil, in Phil's Jeep. We found Kiley's favorite campground and from there we went jeeping in Arches National Park as well as an awesomely technical trail near our campsite called Cliffhanger. Here's our little shanty town:

Look! Arches!

Cliffhanger was rated as the fifth most challenging 4x4 trail in the area. It took us about two and half hours to go just 3.8 miles. This was my first experience four wheeling. Pretty amazing with the right vehicle. Phil's Rubicon Unlimited was complete with the burly lift kit and heavy duty winch. The video I took was near the beginning of the trail at the first major feature. You can really see the articulation in the suspension going down that step. We got much better at route finding and adjustment later on, so we didn't scrape bottom too many more times.

This what we had to do help the jeep make it over the steeper steps and keep the tailpipe from hitting going down.

Here's a view of what the "road" looked like most of the way.

Jeep commercial?

It was a very fun weekend and we plan to do more like it, but I am looking forward to getting back on the bike tomorrow. On a side note, I think I'm coming down with a little cold (my throat has been sore for a couple of days). I hope it won't last too long.

I'd also like to simply thank everyone that has donated to the LAF and everyone that has left me a comment here. You guys rock and it's really helping me to keep pursuing this. This won't be the last time I thank you all, but I just wanted you to know how much it means to me.

Salut!

5 comments:

Paula said...

Wonderful photos! Did you take those with the camera we gave you? What is it, again? Just gorgeous shots. You all look like you're having a terrific time.

I saw a piece on CNN or some news channel the other day. Some country star is doing a cross-country ride for charity too. However, he has a chase van, apparently, because the footage showed him riding his bike with no trailer, panniers or any kind of gear in tow. Not quite the same was what you're planning!

Would panniers hold enough gear? Would they be more stable than the trailer?

Matt Eisenberg said...

Canon PowerShot SD800. Great little camera.

Paniers can hold enough gear, though it can be tough to fit certain items, particularly the tent because of its proportions. The real negative though is the way paniers effect the bike's handling. In my opinion, getting all the weight off the bike and onto the trailer is the better way to go.

Anonymous said...

celebrity riding a bike = not as cool as Matt riding a bike

What an awesome trip you just took, too. Man, I'd love to see Arches. Hmmm... I wonder what it's like there in January? Probably cold as hell...

p.s. Love The Hat

Unknown said...

Great pictures. You should be a professional photograper :)

fred said...

I think I missed you in Moab by a week. We drove out to the Maze and spent 4 days down inside. We should chat soon. hope to talk to you soon.

Fred

Pictures look awesome. I love Moab!!